Thursday, May 3, 2012

Working with Liquid Latex

Alrighty, I was going through my older photos of different work I've done. I did find one that I felt like writing a proper blog about. Now, I haven't played with it much but liquid latex is definitely something you at least should experiment with once, just to say you did it. Latex isn't exactly cheap. I suggest if you work with it you have a game plan on what you're using it for. I created a wound on my shoulder for a friends movie. Below I'll add the different wounds I done. Mind you this was the first time and so far only time I've used liquid latex.

To create this wound, I first opened and swirled the latex around in its bottle with it's brush to make sure the consistency was nice through out the whole jar. It should resemble paint- thick and looks creamy. Latex gets clumpy and tacky if exposed to air for too long, then it eventually dries, so pending on what you're using it for be careful!

Then, I took the brush and swiped it along my shoulder. Using my pointer finger, I dabbed and a little more on my line and made it bumpy to resemble the texture of a scabbing cut. I let the air dry it some and occasionally dab my finger across it a few times to keep the textured look.

Next, I used a couple different brown, pink, and red blushes to create an infected tinge around and on top of  the wound.

From there, I used a dark red lipstick and applied it on top of the latex to create the forming scabbed look.

After that, I applied brown lip color the same way I did the first just to darken some of the areas to make the cut look deeper.

Lastly, I applied some fake blood in small amounts over the whole wound and then brushed a little brown and red blush over it to give it that couple days of trying to heal look.


This neck wound is what the above photo looked like before I applied the fake blood (dried) and last coating of blushes. 

 If you want a more fresh look change your colors to a more fresh meat tone and add a little bit of black in some areas for a gruesome effect and apply your fake blood. I used a purple hue as well in this bottom wrist slash. And being that this was a wrist slash, I purposely left "loose skin" created from latex (get this by making flaps when molding and texturing your latex). This is what it should look like:


1 comment: